Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Super Minimalistic Routine


My current routine is super minimalistic. Some people may even call it lazy but since I've been training for a long time I've done my share of "non-minimalistic" routines and the opinion of other rarely matters to me when it comes to training. I've been doing just two exercises and it's working pretty good so far. Unlike what experts like Tony Horton say variety can work against by distracting you from your main goals.


“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” 


― Confucius


Deadlifts


Dips

It does not get simpler than that. I've been doing only deadlifts and dips for months. I cannot afford to train 4 times a week. I also don't want to. 

FAQ: 

What about my biceps?

Dips do hit biceps despite what people think. Same goes for bench press (especially wide grip). I don't care about muscle imbalances that much. I think such topics are mostly mental masturbation because everybody is thinking like a bodybuilder (muscle symmetry). 

What about my quads? 

What about them? Deadlifts do hit quads - not as hard as squats but that's perfect if you have bad knees. My knees are fine but I don't give a fuck about squats anymore. 

What about this or that?

Many people start a routine and think they will be doing it until they die. Not the case. Things change despite our inner desires.

26 comments:

  1. Good Post! A lot of people greatly over complicate strength training... too many sets reps, exercises, etc. OR newbiest copy Ronnie Coleman's routine and wonder why their 3 hours in the gym doing chest has done nothing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Have you noticed better/similar results from the minimalist routine?

    Also, what kind of set/rep scheme do you use on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS natural you barely ever change so not sure. Definetely haven't lost anything. I usually do 1 set of deadlifts and a few sets of dips.

      Delete
  3. What has helped me is eating a lot of good quality food and working within the 5-8 rep range in a HIT fashion... training to form failure, not muscular failure. If you are doing an exercise such as dips to muscular failure odds are your form is awful and you are doing more bad than good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here except that I don't do HIT. I've done it in the past though when I was brainwashed by videos of Dorian Yates. Never again.

      Delete
  4. Why those two exercises? Do you still do this routine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they develop upper and lower body strength. No, I don't do this routine anymore.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing your back to a normal 4 day routine?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Do you prefer minimal routines like this to programs like the rookie strength routine?

      Delete
  6. Why deadlifts and not squats?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because it's safer and works the back more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm going to do something like this. What do you think of a planche push-up progression instead of dips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to understand that in this life you can do whatever you want. You don't have to follow anybody's ideas.

      That's my answer. Do what you want. You don't need me to tell you. You know more than me.

      Delete
  9. Aw what!! No squats lol, what about dem big thighs??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouldn't you fuck up your shoulders without an upper body pulling movement?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Possible but deadlift covers that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd your shoulders feel when you did this?

      Delete
  12. But always try to figure out stuff for yourself. It's a personal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you add weight or went for reps with bodyweight?

    ReplyDelete
  14. So what is it, deadlifts and dips or pushups, pullups and running?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice exercises man! I love reading your blog. My two exercises would be Power Clean and Push Press and the Back Squat.

    ReplyDelete